- 1 kilo of chicken, skinned and cut into pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups of fresh vegetables chopped in big pieces (carrots, zucchini, eggplant, green beans, potatoes, okra and/or bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoons of Omani mixed spices (or 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and a couple of whole cloves)
- 1 tablespoon of ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of fresh, chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)
- 1 dried Omani lemon (optional)
- hot peppers or ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt or bouillon, to taste
- white rice
- In a large pan, saute the onions in the oil, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and the tomatoes.
- Continue cooking for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken, the spices and the tomato paste.
- Stir over the heat for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water.
- When it comes to a boil, add the chopped vegetables.
- Cover and boil until the chicken is well-cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve the "saloonah" over white rice.