Sfiha (Laham bil Ajeen)
- First soak the yeast in 250 ml (9 fl oz) warm water then set aside.
- Place the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Next add the yoghurt and olive oil to the yeast and stir then gradually pour the mixture to the flour and mix together to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for 15 minutes, until it is nice and soft and not sticking to the surface of the bowl.
- Brush a little olive oil on the surface of the dough and place in a large bowl, cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place until dough becomes double the size or for 1 – 1½ hours.
- Heat1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and fry the chopped onions on medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Set aside and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl place the yoghurt, tahini, vinegar and chopped tomatoes and mix well, then pour over the fried onions.
- Add salt, pepper and garam masala to the mixture, then add the mince and mix well.
- Take out dough and knead again for 1 minute.
- Now form and cut dough into disks of 7½ cm (3 inches) in diameter and 1 cm (½ inch) thick.
- Cover the dough so it does not dry out.
- Place dough disks on a greased baking tray measuring approx. 40 x 28 cm (16 x 11 inches).
- Spread 1 – 2 teaspoons of filling onto the dough disks.
- Decorate with about 3 pine nuts and press filling firmly onto the dough disks.