Thai Beef Salad I
The hot-and-sour dressing has an exotic flavor, yet has just a few ingredients.
- Source: Eating Well This Week,
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.26.07
- Active time: 35 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 12 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir together fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter or individual plates.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned on the outside and still pink inside, about 1 minute per batch.
- Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook chili peppers, onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the fish-sauce (or soy-sauce) mixture and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro.
- Spoon over the lettuce and beef, sprinkle peanuts over top and serve warm.
- 230 calories | 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono) | 42 mg cholesterol | 6 g carbohydrate | 24 g protein | 2 g fiber | 455 mg sodium | 525 mg potassium.
- Carbohydrate Serving: ½
- Exchanges: 1 fruit | 2 vegetable | 3 lean meat | 1 fat
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/