Alternative:New England Clam Chowder
|Alternative:New England Clam Chowder|
|Time:||1-2 hours approx|
- 1 pound canned clams, minced, or 12 ounces frozen, thawed
- 2 tablespoons plain white flour
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 ounces salt pork, diced
- 1½ quarts skimmed or whole milk , scalded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using frozen clams, drain and reserve liquid.
- Cut hard parts away and keep them separate.
- Sauté salt pork in a heavy iron pot until brown and crisp.
- Remove pork and sauté hard part of clam and onions in hot fat until onion is light brown.
- Stir in flour, then slowly add boiling water, salt, pepper, and diced potato.
- Cover and simmer gently 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add soft parts of clams and liquid.
- Just before serving, stir in scalded milk and butter.
- Heat thoroughly, but not to boiling.
- Serve piping hot with oyster or soda crackers.