Barley Flat Bread
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup fat free plain yogurt at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 cup wholewheat flour (or other whole grain)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Stir the yogurt until smooth, then mix in the baking soda. Yogurt will froth.
- Combine the flours in a mixing bowl with the salt.
- Add the yeast liquid and the yogurt. Stir.
- Knead by hand for 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic film and let rise in a warm place for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Until doubled in bulk.
- Turn the dough out onto a board and knead a little.
- Divide into 8 equal portions, and roll into little balls.
- Roll each ball into a 6" round.
- Cover and leave for 20 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or electric frypan to medium high heat.
- Rub pan with oil or use cooking spray.
- Place one round of dough in pan and then press with a folded cloth to encourage small bubbles.
- This prevents a pocket from forming.
- Cook for 1.5 minutes, then turn and cook for one minute further.
- Edges of breads will appear moist when cooked.
- Wrap and keep warm until all rounds are cooked.
- Serve warm.