- 5 lbs flour
- ¼ lbs butter
- 1 quart milk
- 1 to 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 yeast cakes or ¼ pound yeast
- ½ cup water or milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- Mix yeast, water and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Let rise.
- Put 1 quart of milk in a pot.
- Add ½ cup sugar and ½ pound butter. Scald; don't boil.
- Take off stove to cool to lukewarm.
- Beat eggs; add remaining butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Put flour in pan. Mix well.
- Add vanilla extract, egg mixture, milk mixture, yeast and salt.
- Knead until it falls off your hands.
- The better it is mixed the better the bread will be.
- Let stand until it doubles in size.
- Punch down. Let rise again.
- Put in five or six pans and let rise again.
- Bake at 375°F for ½ an hour.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake about ½ hour longer.