Hearty Oatmeal Bread
The number of slices used to calculate the recipe was not given or checked. Guessed about 16 half-inch slices per loaf to make 32 servings.
- Source: Menus by Betty Wedman, 1993
- Makes 2 loaves.
- 5¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup flour (use as needed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ cups milk
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast or 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- Stir together 2 cups of flour and the salt in a large bowl.
- Heat the milk, margarine and sugar together over low heat until the margarine is soft.
- Add the liquid to the flour.
- Beat for 2 minutes on the medium speed of an electric mixer or 300 strokes by hand.
- Combine 1 cup of flour and the yeast.
- Add to the batter.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed or 300 strokes by hand.
- Stir in the oats and caraway with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board.
- Knead until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased large bowl.
- Brush the top with vegetable oil.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down.
- Divide it in half and shape to form two loaves.
- Place in two greased 8 ½ " x 4 ½ " loaf pans.
- Brush with melted margarine or butter.
- Cover and let rise until nearly double in size, about 1 hour.
- When almost doubled, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until brown.
- Cool before slicing.
- 78 calories | 2g protein | 16g carbohydrate | 1g fat | 181mg sodium
- 1 starch exchange