Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon ketchup (ideally banana ketchup from the Philippines)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (habanero as a substitute) (or you can substitute a half a jalapeno pepper depending on your preferences or if you like less heat)
- 3 green onions -- finely chopped
- 1 cup onion -- finely chopped
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Put the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, lime juice, orange juice,
- Pre-Heat BBQ (barbeque) to 300F using only half of the burners. If you have 3 burners turn on only one. You can also rotisserie the chicken and in that case use the rotisserie settings on your BBQ. The rest of the directions will assume you will not be using the rotisserie function of you BBQ.
- Place the whole chicken on the side of the BBQ that has the burners off. You do not want direct heat under the chicken while it is cooking (exceptions noted below).
See the chili pepper warnings.