Refrigerator Bread Dough
Purchased from the Woods Estate in Canton, Texas in 1988. Dated 1944.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water for the yeast only
- 2/3 cups Sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups shortening or lard
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup instant Potato flakes mixed with 1 cup warm water (not yeast water)
- 7-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Stir in the Sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes, and 4 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased gallon zip lock, making sure all the air is out.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours or until ready to use. (Dough can be kept in refrigerator at 45 degrees or below. As it rises slightly, it may be necessary for you to re-zip the bag.)