Shrimp and Orzo Casserole
Revision as of 16:41, 11 April 2012 by RealRecipes (Text replace - "Contributed by [http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/ Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group]" to "<ref>"Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_)
Orzo is an ideal candidate for a baked pasta dish because it doesn't need to be cooked first; simply cover and cook the casserole for 15 minutes before adding the topping.
- Source: Cooking Club of America CCOA
- 6 Servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- dash crushed red pepper
- 1 (14½oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 (14oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb shelled, de-veined cooked medium shrimp, tails removed 
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4oz) crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Spray 11 x 8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until warm.
- Add garlic, oregano and red pepper; cook and stir 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant but not colored.
- Add tomatoes;mash with potato masher.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer.
- Stir in orzo, artichoke hearts, lemon peel and black pepper.
- Pour into baking dish; cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes; stir.
- Add shrimp; stir to distribute.
- Sprinkle with parsley and feta.
- Bake, uncovered, an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until orzo is tender and feta starts to melt.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/
- To cook shrimp; place in large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink; drain. Or use frozen, cooked shrimp; thaw shrimp before using.
- 290 Calories | 8.5g Total Fat (4.5g Saturated Fat) | 26g Protein | 845 mg Sodium | 27g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 170 mg Cholesterol | 845 mg Sodium