- Soften the yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Mix the salt and the cold water together and add to the yeast mixture.
- Sift in the flour gradually, beating well after each addition for a smooth consistency.
- You will probably have to knead in the final cup of flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball, brush lightly with the remaining shortening, and cover with a dry cloth.
- Set the bowl in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and, on a floured board, knead about 5 minutes.
- Shape into 2 round loaves on a well greased baking sheet.
- Cover with a dry cloth and set to rise another 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the loaves on a cookie sheet 50 minutes.