Adult Macaroni and Cheese
This dish was made for adults. Instead of just cheddar, we put in Fontina, mascarpone, Gruyere, cream cheese, and Swiss.
- ½ pound (227 g) elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces (170 g) heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) kosher salt, plus more for the water
- ½ cup (120 mL) each grated Fontina, grated Gruyere, mascarpone cheese, and cream cheese
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese, julienned
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) tabasco sauce
- In a gallon (~3.8 L) of salted boiling water, cook macaroni to al dente. Strain into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- While pasta is cooking, in a heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons (15 mL) butter over medium heat. Once bubbling ceases, whisk in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until blonde.
- Add remaining ingredients except butter. Once cheese is melted and sauce is smooth, add 1 tablespoon butter, whisking continuously until melted. Repeat until all butter has been used.
- Gently fold in macaroni and serve warm.