Afghani Squash Casserole
- 2 lb. winter Squash, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh mint, or 1 tsp. dried, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a rapid boil over high heat, add Squash and cook about 25 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat spaghetti sauce over medium heat, and add cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Cook 10 minutes, or until sauce reduces to about 3 cups.
3. Mix yogurt with mint, scallions and salt, and set aside. Place Squash in serving dish, and pour spaghetti sauce over top, leaving some Squash uncovered. Drizzle with yogurt sauce, and garnish with mint leaves.