African Vegetable Stew
- Fry Onion, garlic and white stems of chard until barely limp.
- Add chopped greens and fry a bit.
- Either peel the yams or scrub them well with a vegetable brush, then slice them into thick slices.
- Add garbanzos, raisins, yams, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook a couple of minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture in the pot.
- Put the rice in the well and pat it down until it's wet.
- Cover and cook until rice is done, about 25 minutes.
- Add Tabasco sauce to taste.