Hot pepper sauce
- Fry the onion gently in the oil in a large saucepan until tender, without browning.
- Add the garlic and thyme and fry gently for about 1 more minute.
- Raise the heat and add the chicken pieces.
- Fry until lightly browned.
- Add the milk, water, all three types of potato, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces with a perforated spoon and as soon as they are cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces.
- Stir the soup with a wooden spoon to help the potatoes break down and thicken the soup.
- Add the sweetcorn and continue cooking over medium heat for another 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the sweetcorn is tender.
- Add the herbs and shredded chicken, and cook for a final minute or two.
- While the soup is cooking prepare all the garnishes.
- To make the egg salad, mix all the ingredients and spoon into a small bowl.
- To make the hot pepper sauce, mix the ingredients, adding salt and sugar to taste, and place in another small bowl.
- Put the capers and cream in separate bowls.
- Ladle the soup into deep bowls and encourage everyone to help themselves to the various garnishes.