Alaska Cod Corn Tortilla Soup
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 can low-salt chicken broth - (14½ oz)
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes - (14½ oz) coarsely chopped
- ⅔ cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 cod fillet - (5 oz ea)
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- tortilla strips
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Saute 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato liquid; boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn kernels.
- Set cod fillets on top of broth and spoon liquid over cod.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until cod just flakes when tested with a fork.
- To serve, set each fillet in a large soup bowl.
- Spoon broth around cod and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Garnish each bowl with tortilla strips.