- Combine Sugar, 1 c water, cream of tartar, and flavoring(s) in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch with remaining water, mix completely, and slowly stir into Sugar mixture.
- Boil over medium-low heat for 20–30 minutes, until the mixture reaches "Firm-ball stage," or 248 °F (120 °C) on a candy thermometer.
- Apply non-stick cooking spray to a form (ice cube trays will do nicely, though not plastic ones), shallow pie pan, or jelly-roll pan.
- Pour the hot mixture into the pan or form and allow to set.
- When cool, release from form or cut into cubes as applicable and roll each piece in powdered sugar, granulated sugar, or coconut.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container.