Eritrean meat stew
- 1 cup onions; sliced
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 2 lbs meat with bone; beef, lamb or goat, cut in 3 inch-pieces
- 2 cloves garlic; sliced
- 1 tsp salt; to taste
- 1 fresh hot green chili;-sliced
- ¼ tsp gingerroot; crushed, fresh
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds; crushed
- ¼ tsp caraway; crushed
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ cups water
- In dry pan over medium heat, stir fry onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the oil and stir fry 1 minute longer.
- Add the meat and brown 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the spices and seasonings at one time and stir well.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook over moderate heat for about 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Should the curry dry out too quickly, add another ½ cup water.
- At the end of the 45 minutes, there should be very little sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.