About 3½ dozen cookies
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp freshly grated orange peel
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup Hershey's Mini Kisses semi-sweet or milk chocolate baking pieces
- Grind ½ cup almonds in food processor or blender.
- Stir together flour, ground almonds and baking soda; set aside.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, orange peel and almond extract; beat on low speed until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat on low speed until blended.
- Shape dough into two logs, about 1½ inches in diameter.
- Refrigerate dough about 15 minutes, if necessary, before shaping.
- Wrap each roll separately in wax paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate until well chilled, at least two hours.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Slice dough into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Immediately place 3 baking pieces and 3 almond slices on top of each cookie, pressing down lightly.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely.