Almond Sesame Pastries
CRISP almond AND SESAME PASTRIES.- (Samsa-) Tunisia makes about 24
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- orange-flower water
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, if liked
- about 4 oz filo pastry
- olive oil, for brushing
- lightly toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Put the water and 1/2 cup of the Sugar in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and boiluntil syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and add the orange-flower water.Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl,stir together the ground almonds, orange zest, cinnamon if usingand remaining Sugar, then knead together the ingredients.
- Brush one sheet of filo with olive oil, keep the other sheetscovered with a damp cloth. Cut the oiled sheet into 3 lengthwisestrips. Place a small spoonful of filling at the bottom of eachstrip.
- Fold the sides over the filling then roll the pastry up along thelength.
- Brush inside the end of the pastry with oil and seal itto the roll.
- Brush with oil and put on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake the pastries for 15-20minutes until crisp and golden.
- Lower the pastries a few at a time into the hot syrup, leave forabout 3 minutes so the syrup enetrates the pastries.
- The remove to a plate and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Leave until cold before serving.