||A Wikibookian suggests that this book or chapter be merged with Mango chutney.
Please discuss whether or not this merger should happen on the discussion page.
|Servings:||ca. 12 oz.|
Mango Chutney, is a speciality of the South Indian coastal state of Andhra Pradesh. Mango chutney can be made in many different ways. Chutney is a tasty sauce, and can be served with poppadoms or with the main course.
This set of ingredients creates the Sweet n Sour Mango Chutney.
- 6 firm under-ripe mangoes, cubed
- 75g raisins
- 250ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
- 200g (1 cup) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion (½ cup), finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp. fresh ginger, scraped and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar and boil for 15 minutes.
- Add mangoes, raisins and onion and bring to the boil again.
- Reduce the heat to low, simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic, ginger and seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
- Due to the high sugar and acid content, this chutney may be refrigerated safely for 6 months.
This set of ingredients creates the Spicy Mango Chutney.
- 1 large raw (unripe) mango, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (e.v. olive oil works)
- ½ tsp asafoetida ("Heengh" in Hindi, "Perungayum" in Tamil)
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 2-3 green chillies (you can add more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tsp lime juice (if mango is not sour enough)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp salt (adjust to taste)
Procedure for Type 1
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, green chillies and red-chillies. Wait till the mustard seeds splutter and remove pan from stove.
- Grind the above mix with mango, lime juice (if needed) turmeric and salt
Notes, tips, and variations
- Serve with hot rice or bread
- Works as an excellent spread on a sandwich
- If it is not too spicy then you can serve it as a dip for tortilla chips
- You could also serve with yoghurt/curd
- Typically presented in restaurants in a steel dish with a spoon for serving ones self
- Vary amount of salt/spices as needed.
Other Recipes by the author of the alternate recipe: