Tapenade is a traditional provencale paste of olives, anchovies and capers. Although some versions exclude the capers, the word tapenade has its origins in the provencale tapena (caper).
- 6 anchovies
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (240ml) pitted black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Blend the anchovies, capers and olives.
- For this a blender is better than the traditional mortar and pestle.
- Add a few tablespoons olive oil until smooth.
Serve on toast as an amuse-bouche, or with boiled eggs, or with goats cheese and roasted peppers, or on potato gnocchi.