Apple Beet Borscht
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 4 cup water or light vegetable stock
- ¼ x medium red or green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 each carrots, julienned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 beets, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cup apple cider
- ¼ cup tamari
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 tbsp molasses or honey
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Sauté caraway seeds in canola oil.
- Then, combine all ingredients in a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 2 – 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Purée one-third of the soup in food processor; return puree to the pot and mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot or cold with a dollop of tofu sour cream.