Apricot Rice Pudding II
Makes 8 servings
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1½ cups apricot nectar
- ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- Combine rice and coconut in shallow 1½-quart baking dish.
- Heat apricot nectar, water, ⅓ cup sugar and salt to boiling in medium saucepan; remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla and almond extract in medium bowl; beat slightly.
- Gradually stir in hot apricot nectar.
- Pour over rice and coconut; stir.
- Place dish in large pan containing 1-inch hot water.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 40 to 45 minutes or until set; cool slightly.
- Spread top with preserves.
- Beat egg whites with remaining ⅓ cup sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake 15 minutes longer, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm or cold.