This recipe is wonderful. Recently I fixed a Panamanian dinner for close friends here in Colorado with arroz con pollo, plantain, stuffed chayote, mango salad and a coffee dessert. It was a big hit!
- Brown chicken and pork in Crisco.
- Add sausages and cook (I take out some of the grease before adding the rest of the ingredients).
- Then add tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, onions, garlic, bay leaves, saffron, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and add rice.
- Cook on medium high until liquid is absorbed.
- Then cover tightly and steam until rice is done.
- When serving, add can of heated peas and pimientos over the top.
- Arrange chicken around the sides (or remove chicken from bones and add to rice)
- Parsley may also be used to decorate.
- ↑ Saffron is expensive and sometimes hard to find. I buy packaged saffron rice and substitute half that kind with regular plain white rice, and it gives it a wonderful flavor.