Arroz con Pollo VI
Means "rice with chicken"; this is a dish made with rice, chicken, tomatoes, green peppers, seasonings and sometimes saffron.
- 1½ x 15-oz cans (about 3 cups) chicken broth
- ¼ tsp saffron (optional)
- 1 x 2½ pound chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 4 tbsp olive or other cooking oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 x 3 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 x 8-oz can (1 cup) tomatoes, cut up finely with a spoon
- 1½ cup white rice, uncooked
- ½ tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, sprinkle with saffron, and stir gently.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken pieces in cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Coat chicken pieces with a mixture of 1 tbsp.
- Oil, paprika, garlic, and oregano.
- Heat remaining 3 tbsp.
- Oil in a large skillet with a lid.
- Saute chicken pieces until golden.
- Set chicken aside on a platter.
- Sauté onion and mushroooms in the skillet until onion is almost soft.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Add rice and toss until coated.
- Add chicken broth, chicken pieces, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and rice has absorbed liquid (20 to 30 minutes).