Have your butcher freeze the meat slightly to get the right thickness. Be sure to use the highest setting your grill or keep the charcoal at a high temperature. Some fat is okay.
This recipe is for 50 servings. Preparing time: 51 hours.
- 10 lbs lean beef tip roast or venison, hind quarter (sliced like thin bologna)
- 1¼ cups salt
- 3 cups onions
- 1½ inches fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour
- 3½ – 4 lbs white sugar
- 8 – 10 cups soy sauce, to taste
- ¾ cup sesame oil
- 2 cups rice wine
- 1 (2 liter) bottle regular Pepsi® cola or Coke®
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into ⅛ inch pieces
- Thaw meat if it is still slightly frozen.
- Place in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let set for 30 minutes.
- Drain. Do not squeeze.
- Clean onion, ginger and garlic.
- garlic should"slip" right out of it's skin if soaked long enough.
- Process in food processor until thoroughly minced.
- Sprinkle sugar on drained meat.
- Mix with your hands until sugar is melted.
- Gradually stir in onion/garlic/ginger mixture.
- Mix in until dispersed throughout meat.
- Pour soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice wine over meat.
- Let set for about 30 minutes.
- You may need to add more soy sauce if meat is not easily turned in marinade.
- Pour ½ to ¾ bottle pepsi or coke over meat.
- Sprinkle scallions over meat and stir.
- Invert a ceramic plate and place over meat.
- Cover meat and plate with plastic wrap and weigh it down with a quart jar full of water.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- If using a gas grill, start and place on highest setting.
- If using charcoal, allow charcoal to become white before using.
- Add a few briquettes as you go along to keep the fire hot.
- Pour meat into a colander allow to drain for several minutes.
- Replace meat to bowl.
- You will have some marinade left over.
- Place single layer meat on grill for abut 45 seconds per side.
- It will blacken on the tips, but do not allow to blacken in the middle.
- The pieces should glisten.
- Place in an electric roaster set at low until finished.
- Drizzle some of the marinade over done pieces so they do not dry out.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.