Australian Chocolate Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Grease 8" by 8" metal baking pan.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat ¾ cup water to boiling over high heat.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in dates, instant coffee, and baking soda; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on waxed paper, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt until blended; set aside.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium-high speed, beat 3 tablespoons margarine or butter with granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- With mixer at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and date mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until batter is evenly blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into pan; spread evenly.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons margarine or butter; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- Remove pudding from oven.
- Turn oven control to broil.
- Pour brown-sugar mixture over hot pudding; spread evenly.
- Return pudding to oven; broil at closest position to heat source 30 seconds or until bubbly.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Serve warm, with whipped cream if you like.