Madras Style Vegetables
- 1/2 cup green peas, thawed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 green plantain, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 cup green beans, french cut
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup ground coconut
- 6 green chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a large saucepan combine the Peas, carrots, Squash, plantain , bell peppers, beans, turmeric and curry leaves.
- Add a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered until vegetables are tender and have absorbed all the liquid (10 minutes).
- Do not let the vegetables get too mushy. The slight crunch of the vegetables adds to the flavor of the dish.
- In a bowl whisk the yogurt and set aside.
- In a blender mix the coconut, chilies and cumin seeds into a paste using very little water.
- Add this to the yogurt and mix the salt into this seasoned yogurt.
- Add to the cooked vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the coconut oil and mix well taking care not to break the vegetables.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat until the mixture is warmed through. Serve hot.