Avocado Smoked Fish with Hot Sauce
This recipe is from Zaire, where it is known as "Senegalese Quiche". Feel free to choose another hot sauce to serve over this dish.
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound smoked fish, such as salmon, flaked
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 red bell pepper, or 1 can pimentos, cut in strips
- 1/4 cup West African Pili-Pili Sauce
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and take out the egg yolks. Mash the egg yolks in a large bowl. Mix in the milk and stir until it forms a smooth paste. Add 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the Sugar, and the salt. Mix well. Pour in the vegetable oil and the olive oil, then stir in the rest of the lime juice.
- Make sure all skin and bones are removed from the flaked smoked fish. Chop the egg whites and mix them in a separate bowl with the fish. Then add the fish and egg whites to the sauce; toss gently and thoroughly, then refrigerate.
- Just before serving, cut the avocados in half and take out the seeds and all the brown fibers. Spoon the refrigerated mixture into the avocado halves and top with either red pepper strips or pimento strips. Spoon the hot sauce over the dish and serve immediately.