Date crumble. An Arab favourite, this dish is from the UAE and is served regularly with gah-wa (Arabian coffee).
- 4 cups wheat flour
- 2¾ cups seh - ripe sticky dates
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1¼ cups toasted sesame seeds
- ¾ cup samen
- Brown the flour in a skillet, stirring to avoid burning.
- Stone the dates and pull them apart with your hand.
- Place in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the cardamom and sesame seeds over.
- Gradually add the samen (oil) and browned flour, a little at a time, working the ingredients in with the fingertips.
- When all is well blended, the mixture should resemble large biscuit crumbs.
- Store in an airtight container and serve on a fou-alla.
- The mixture will keep for a week.