Baked Brown and White Rice with Mushrooms
Makes 6 servings
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place brown rice into shallow 2- to 3-quart baking dish. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add broth, thyme, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil; pour over rice.
- Cover and bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same saucepan; add mushrooms. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until tender; remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms and white rice to brown rice. Cover and continue to bake until rice is tender, about 30 minutes more.
- Add parsley; stir gently