Baked Rigatoni with Sausage and Mushrooms
Savory Italian sausage and sautéed mushrooms impart a spicy heat to this cheesy rigatoni. Toss a simple green salad while the pasta bakes, and serve with a nice dry red wine. It's a foolproof meal, perfect for a delightful Sunday dinner with great weeknight or lunchtime leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1½ pounds white mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup red wine
- pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) prepared marinara sauce
- ½ pound mozzarella, shredded
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Add the garlic, onions and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid and the onions are translucent.
- Add the red wine and crushed red pepper and continue to cook until the red wine has evaporated.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and add the sausage.
- Cook until the sausage is fully cooked and browned.
- Remove from the pan and add to the mushroom mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Add the mushrooms and sausage to this mixture.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente and drain.
- Add the cooked pasta and marinara sauce to the ricotta mixture and mix well until fully combined.
- Transfer to a roasting pan and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until browned on top and fully heated through.
Per Serving (8 oz-wt.):
- 330 calories (220 from fat) | 25g total fat | 10g saturated fat | 17g protein | 8g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar) | 55mg cholesterol | 870mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends