- In a heavy 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Add as many plantain slices as you can without crowding the pan, and brown for about 2 minutes on each side.
- As they crown, transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- On a board, using a broad solid (not slotted) spatula, press each slice into a flat round about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the oil and fry the rounds again for about 1 minute on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve at once.