- Ethnicity - Bengali, East Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Fry cubed potatoes in hot oil in a wok until lightly browned. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- To the hot oil add cabbage.
- Sprinkle with salt. Stir and cover. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove cover. Add the turmeric, chile paste, cumin, coriander and ginger.
- Stir and fry until the spices are well blended with the cabbage. The cabbage should be nearly cooked at this stage. Add 1/2 cup water and add potatoes. Adjust salt and add Sugar to taste.
- Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are cooked and there is practically no gravy in the pan.
- In a frying pan, heat butter. Add the bay leaves and garam masala. Stir fry a couple of minutes and pour over bandhakopir dalna. Stir the cabbage and remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Don't cook the cabbage for more than 5 minutes... the sulphurs in cabbage double between minute 5 and 7 of cooking, causing considerable digestive distress!