Basic Bean Burgers
- 1 cup TVP
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup
- 16 ounces pinto beans, kidney, or other beans, drained
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon artificial sweetener
- salt and black pepper to taste
- whole wheat flour for dusting
- Pour boiling water over TVP and tomato paste in a bowl.
- Stir and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In food processor, combine TVP mixture and remaining ingredients except for flour.
- Pulse until mixture is almost a puree.
- Dust hands with flour and shape mixture into 6 burgers.
- Dust them lightly in flour.
- Layer the burgers with sheets of waxed paper and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Cook on a gill covered with foil for about 10 minutes on each side.