Basic Vegetable Stock
This is a basic stock that may be used in place of water in almost any recipe. It's a good way to use up vegetables that less than fresh.
- 7 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup coarsely shredded white cabbage
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Place all the ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are quite tender.
- Strain the stock.