- Rinse rice under cold running water.
- Place rice in large bowl.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions
- Sauté, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon
- Sauté, until onions are brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice to spices and stir 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water, cream, salt and saffron.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan almost completely and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add Peas to rice.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with nuts and Raisins.
This side dish has whole peppercorns, cardamom and cloves. They are not meant to be eaten, so discard them when serving the rice.