Bean and Pasta Soup with Sausage
This delicious bean soup cooks quickly and can be packed in a thermos and taken to a football game or fall tailgate picnic. You can also serve it for a quick lunch or dinner entrée.
- From: www.cinnamonhearts.com
- Source: The Diabetes Snack Munch Nibble Nosh Book, 2nd Edition, 2003 by Ruth Glick.
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups fat-free, low-sodium or regular chicken broth, divided
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 (8oz) can low-sodium or regular tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 oz reduced-fat beef sausage
- 1 oz angel hair pasta broken into 2-inch pieces (about ½ cup)
- salt to taste (optional)
- In a small Dutch oven or similar pot, combine the onion, celery, garlic, oil, and ¼ cup broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the remaining broth, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and hot pepper sauce, if using. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Stir in sausage and pasta.
- Reduce the heat and cook at a low boil 4 or 5 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add salt to taste, if desired
Per (¾ cup) serving:
- 147 Calories | 2g Total Fat | 6 mg Cholesterol | 573 mg Sodium | 9g Protein | 23g Carbs | 4g Dietary Fiber | 9g Protein
- Exchanges: 1 Starch | 1 Vegetable | 1 Very Lean Meat
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/