Beya Kyaw (Split Pea Fritters) is a great accompaniment to soups or main course dishes.
- This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 200 g (7 oz) split peas, dried
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chile, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Put the split peas in a large bowl filled with cold water and let the peas soak overnight.
- Drain the peas and reduce to a paste using a food processor.
- Add the onions, chile and ground turmeric to the paste and form into small balls, roughly the size of a golf ball.
- Next, slightly flatten the balls (½-inch thick).
- Deep-fry the fritters to a golden brown.
- Drain the fritters on absorbent paper and serve hot.