Bittersweet Chocolate Bread Pudding
Purchased from the Young Estate in Sparks, Nevada in 1990. The notation on card says this was "Paw-Paw's favorite dessert". Dated 1916.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ¾ cups stale breadcrumbs
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1 ounce bitter chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups boiling water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Soak bread in 1¾ cup milk for thirty minutes.
- Melt chocolate over hot water. Gradually add sugar and remaining ¼ cup milk to make smooth paste.
- Add to bread with salt, vanilla, and egg slightly beaten.
- Place in well buttered pudding dish and bake ½ hour until set.
- Serve with vanilla sauce which is made by melting the butter and flour and stir until it bubbles.
- Add the boiling water and sugar. Boil until smooth and thoroughly cooked.
- Add flavoring, strain and serve hot.