Black Beans and Rice
Black Beans and Rice from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped fine
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 x 15 oz. can black beans, or about 2 cups of home-cooked black beans
- 1 cup broccoli florettes, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté onions and garlic in vegetable oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, beans and rice.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli turns bright green.
- Gently stir in tomato and cilantro.
- Sprinkle cheese over mixture and let melt.