Shortribs cooked in beef broth with aromatic herbs and vegetables makes a fork-tender, flavorful entrée.
- 2 1/2 pounds English cut beef shortribs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- Finely chopped rosemary
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 redskin potatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat bacon fat in a 6 quart cast iron Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season shortribs with salt, freshly ground black pepper, then dredge in flour. Place 1 or 2 in the pot at one time, and cook until browned on all sides. Repeat until all shortribs have been browned. Keep warm.
- If there is not enough fat in the pan to coat the bottom, add olive oil. Add 1/4 of the vegetables at a time and sauté until browned around the edges. Repeat until all vegetables have been sautéed.
- Add remaining ingredients and browned shortribs. Place into a cold oven and then set for 250 degrees F. Cook 5 1/2 hours.
- Move to serving bowls and sprinkle each serving with finely chopped rosemary. Serve warm.