British New Potato Salad
- 700 g (1 lb) small, new potatoes
- 2 hard-boiled eggs - yolks only
- large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp anchovy essence
- 1 tbsp herb vinegar
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) double cream
- fresh chives - snipped for garnish.
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in boiling water for 10–15 minutes, until tender.
- Mash the egg yolks, cayenne pepper and sugar to a paste with the anchovy essence, vinegar and 1 teaspoon of cold water.
- Stir in the cream.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain thoroughly and toss with the dressing.
- Serve warm or cold, garnished with the snipped chives.
Replace the cream with soured cream or natural yogurt and substitute the anchovy essence for 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as tarragon, chives, mint or parsley.