- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 kg rump steak ( beef/chicken/mutton)
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 stalk lemon grass - sliced thinly
- 120gms grated coconut - fried and pounded
- 4 slices galangal
- 5 candlenuts, ground
- 2 tbsp curry powder - blended with 2 tbsp water
- 30 dried chillies
- 120 g shallots
- 4 red chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cm piece ginger
- ½ cup thick coconut milk - extracted from ½ grated coconut
- 8 tbsp oil
- Heat oil and fry ground ingredients and curry powder until fragrant.
- Add in half of the coconut milk and fry until the oil separates.
- Add in the soy sauce mixture and steak.
- Add in also the fried grated coconut and lemon grass.
- Stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and simmer until the meat is tender, for about 1 hour.
- Increase heat to reduce gravy until it is thick and oily.