Bulalo is one such favorite soup and the hotter it is the better. It is best complemented by the marrow that is tapped out of the bone. This delightful Beef soup is a specialty of the cattle-raising region in the province of Batangas.
- 1 kilo bias ng baka (Beef shank) with bone marrow intact
- 1 big Onion, sliced
- 3 stalks leeks, sliced
- 1 package dried banana blossoms
- 2 pieces tokwa (tofu), sliced
- sauce (patis) to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place Beef shank in water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then remove shank and discard water.
2. Boil the shank again in 8 cups water until the stock is flavored and [the water] reduced to half the amount.
3. Add the onions, leeks and banana blossoms.
4. Season to taste with sauce and pepper, then add the beancurd.
5. Serve hot.