Burmese Potato Cutlets
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups water
- 700 g (1.5 lbs) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 150 g (5 oz) minced beef
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red child, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg white
- Soften the potatoes by boiling in water and 1 teaspoon of salt for 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain the water, add another 1 teaspoon of salt and mash the potatoes.
- In a frying pan or wok, heat oil and fry the beef for 3 – 4 minutes or until it is brown.
- Next, add the chili flakes, onion, chile and curry powder and fry for 10 more minutes.
- Moisten your hands and make potato patties the size of your palm.
- Using a spoon, scoop meat, place it in the center of the patty and wrap the potato around the meat.
- Coat the stuffed patty with egg white and deep-fry until golden brown.