My mother obtained from her knitting group in 1952. She said it had been around for years at that point. She is guessing that this is a recipe from the 1920's.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Brown butter in pan. Add Sugar and cook together, stirring constantly, until Sugar is melted.
- Add water; stir slowly and cook until Sugar is again dissolved.
- Combine cornstarch, egg yolks and milk, and add to Sugar mixture.
- Cook until thickened. Pour in baked pie shell and top with cream.