Cabbage and Carrot Fry
- ½ lb cabbage
- ½ fresh hot green chile
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 hot dried red chile
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- ½ lb carrots
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp whole black mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Core the cabbage and cut it into fine, long shreds. Peel the carrots and grate them coarsely. Cut the green chile into thin, long strips.
- Heat the oil in a wide, casserole-type pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the asafoetida.
- A second later, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the dried red chile. Stir once.
- The chile should turn dark red in seconds. Now put in the cabbage, carrots and green chile.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir the vegetables around for half a minute.
- Add the salt, Sugar and green coriander.
- Stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just done and retain some of their crispness.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and serve.