Cajun Red Beans with Rice
Makes 6 servings
- ½ pound dry pinto, kidney or pink beans
- 1 quart water
- ¼ pound salt pork, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ pound well-seasoned pork sausage meat, crumbled
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Sort and wash beans.
- Combine beans, water and pork in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Return to heat; simmer 45 minutes.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme and tomato sauce.
- Continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sausage and green onions; replace cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until beans and sausage are tender.
- Add boiling water if beans become dry while cooking.
- Serve beans with mounds of fluffy rice.